Sunday, November 29, 2009

intelligence and grades! correlation?

It's interesting that nearly anyone that does well (eg. gets top grades), automatically gets told that you are so smart and/or such a nerd ><. it can get quite annoying.

I don't believe there's a clear correlation between intelligence and grades:
- a person can be seen as 'smart' but can't produce grades due to bad exam techniques, stress, extreme laziness (poor preparation), mind blanks out etc.
- on the other hand an 'average' person may produce top grades because they know how to study/cram well, stress less, spends more time revising, have good exam techniques or luck/educational guesses (eg. MCQ), better time management skills etc.


I do believe that a person would have average or above average intelligence in most cases to achieve good grades. However, a grade is largely a result of what you're able to recall/apply and how you use the time effectively during the exam.


food for thought:
- so what is true intelligence anyway?
- can you really measure it or maybe its a combination of things?


anyway good luck with everyone's results =)

2 comments:

  1. agree, with me grades correlate with how interested I am on the subject...therefore my appaling grades engineering. I remember being top in the school for "Technology" in NZ...I did not try hard but i enjoyed/was interested in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a positive correlation but as a stat lecturer will tell you, correlation does not equal cause!

    I think being intelligent means being able to apply what you've learnt in class to real life. Isn't that the whole point of us learning?

    ReplyDelete